The 2022 Compute Ontario Summer School for Advanced Research Computing will begin on May 30th, 2022 and will run until August 5th, 2022, offering virtual (online) workshops on a variety of topics, including advanced research computing basics, high performance computing tools, programming languages, machine learning, visualization, programming GPUs, and bioinformatics. The Summer School workshops are at the beginner-to-intermediate levels of difficulty. Prerequisites are listed in each workshop's description.
One can register/enrol for one, some, or all of the workshops in the Summer School. The ability to register/enrol starts approximately two weeks prior to each workshop. (The same account is also used to sign up to receive general notices.)
In order to register/enrol, you need to be able to log into the 2022 Compute Ontario Training site in one of two ways:
- Using your account with the Digital Research Alliance of Canada (Alliance in short; formerly Compute Canada).
NOTE: Alliance accounts are available for free for Canadian academia. Click this link for instructions on how to apply for an account if you don't already have one.
- If you do not have (and cannot get) an Alliance account, then you can request a Compute Ontario Training web site only account. To request such, send an email to email@example.com from the email account with the subject Compute Ontario Summer School Account you want to have associated with such.
To help avoid missing registration windows for the various workshops, you may also sign up to receive general notifications for Compute Ontario Summer School workshops as follows:
- Click this link (link opens in a new window) to access our General Notices forum.
- If you weren't previously logged in, then click the Continue button and log in. (See the Registration section above on how to log in to our training site.)
- After logging in you will be sent back to this page, click the Enrol me button.
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops take place on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with:
- all morning sessions (AM) from 10:30 AM to 12 PM EDT, and
- all afternoon sessions (PM) from 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM EDT.
After registration opens for that workshop, one can enrol/unenrol in the linked-to workshop after first logging in.
The title of each workshop in the table below links to a course page with more information:
|Introduction to Shell||May 30||1 session||AM||May 16 @ 12pm EDT|
|Introduction to Python||May 30, June 1||2 sessions||PM||May 16 @ 12pm EDT|
|Using Jupyter Lab||June 2 (12pm to 1pm EDT)||1 hour||-||May 16 @ 12pm EDT|
|Bioinformatics||June 6, 8, and 10||1 week||AM||May 23 @ 12pm EDT|
|R||June 6, 8, and 10||1 week||PM||May 23 @ 12pm EDT|
|Machine Learning||June 13, 15, and 17||1 week||AM||May 30 @ 12pm EDT|
|Git||June 13, 15, and 17||1 week||PM||May 30 @ 12pm EDT|
|HPC Python||June 27, 29, and 30||1 week||AM||June 13 @ 12pm EDT|
|C++||June 27, 29, 30; July 4, 6, and 8||2 weeks||PM||June 13 @ 12pm EDT|
|Programming GPUs||July 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, and 22||3 weeks||AM||June 20 @ 12pm EDT|
|Visualization||July 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, and 22||2 weeks||PM||June 27 @ 12pm EDT|
|MPI||July 25, 27, and 29||1 week||AM||July 11 @ 12pm EDT|
|Data Security||July 25 and 27||2 sessions||PM||July 11 @ 12pm EDT|
|Deep Learning||August 2, 3, and 5||1 week||AM||July 18 @ 12pm EDT|
|OpenMP||August 2, 3, and 5||1 week||PM||July 18 @ 12pm EDT|
Should you require any assistance, have questions, etc. please open a ticket by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 2022 Compute Ontario Summer School and explain what you require assistance with and/or ask any questions you may have.